lenya-dev mailing list archives

From Andreas Hartmann <andr...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [1.4] Merge ac.xconf into publication.xconf? (was: [Vote] Release 1.4 RC1)
Date Tue, 10 Apr 2007 08:01:47 GMT
Joern Nettingsmeier schrieb:
> Andreas Hartmann wrote:
>> Hi Joern,
>>
>> Joern Nettingsmeier schrieb:

>>> drat. i'm all for a rc, but i still haven't merged my branch... i
>>> think they make the configuration a lot nicer and i'd love to see
>>> them go in...
>>>
>>> problem is: * i think the publication.xconf should be extended to
>>> include ac configuration as well, but this is not done yet.
>>
>> I'm not sure if this is really a good idea. We might end up
>> with a quite large config file. IMO it's more convenient to have
>> small, dedicated config files.
>
> i don't have particularly strong opinions about one big vs. many small
> config files, but as it is now, we have some redundancy: when you
> specify a <content-dir>, you will also want to redirect the passwd and
> roles files, so that all files that can change at runtime and must be
> backed up are in one place.

ATM the content and access-control storage directories are not related,
for instance you can share a user base across multiple publications.
I'm not sure if we need this flexibility, or if it is sufficient to
configure a single "storage base" for a Lenya web application.

I'd like something like this:

* All configuration files use something like

  <parameter name="configuration"
      value="aggregate-fallback://%STORE%/ac/usecase-policies.xml"/>

* You can set the store location in publication.xconf:

  store=/home/alice/lenya-store

* The %STORE% placeholder is replaced by the build process

The disadvantage is that you'd have to configure a list of
config files (or directories) to patch in the build process,
but I could live with that.

-- Andreas