lenya-dev mailing list archives

From Oliver Schalch <oliver.scha...@wyona.com>
Subject Re: Upload when enable.uploads=false (l.b.p)
Date Fri, 16 Jun 2006 08:58:48 GMT
Josias Thöny wrote:
> On Thu, 2006-06-15 at 10:31 +0200, Oliver Schalch wrote:
>> Hi List,
>>
>> At the moment there is *no* message which gives the user a hint why a
>> upload didnt happen. If you try uploading an image and enable.upload is
>> false it just returns to the screen you was.
>>
>> 2 Suggestion:
>>
>> --- before a user will try to upload ---
>> We add a check to all place where its possible to upload files which
>> checks the l.b.p (b.p) and add an according message there if
>> enable.upload=false
>>
>> or
>>
>> --- after a user tried to upload ---
>> We just check if the upload didnt happen and inform the user about this
>> and why it could happen.
>>
>> I'm not sure if there is a nice way we could check the enable.upload
>> paramater in the local.build.properties direct from the usecase. If that
>> doesent work in a nice way, we should just check if the file was
>> uploaded, if not add a information about the enable.upload.
>
> Unfortunately the usecase cannot check if the upload has worked or not.
> The reason is that request-parameters in the body of the request are
> ignored by Cocoon for multipart/form-data requests (which are used for
> uploading files) if uploads are disabled. (Technical background see
> below [*])
> As a consequence, the continuation-id is lost and the usecase doesn't
> continue.
>
> First I thought we could put the continuation-id for the upload usecases
> into the URL (index.html?lenya.continuation=1234).
> But the submit parameter is lost also, so it doesn't help. The whole
> usecase-processing doesn't work :(

Mhh :(

> I guess we have to check l.b.p and display a warning on the screen where
> the user selects the file to upload.

Yes, I like that idea anyway, in 99% it will fail because of the
enable.upload=false in lbp. I will have a look at it, how I could get
stuff out the local.b.p inside a usecase.

> Or we enable file-upload by default.

Uploading files could be a part of a CMS, so why not. But that its more
a workaround to get rid of the discussion above ;). And probably some
security reason to not set uploads=true by default.

Oliver

Oliver Schalch				 oliver.schalch@wyona.com
http://www.wyona.com			  http://lenya.apache.org