lenya-dev mailing list archives

From Michael Wechner <michael.wech...@wyona.com>
Subject Re: [1.4] [RFO] UUID discussion
Date Wed, 14 Jun 2006 09:05:11 GMT
Andreas Hartmann wrote:
> Hi Lenya devs,
>
> IMO the UUID issue is quite important regarding the upcoming 1.4 release,
> and I'm very interested in your opinions about this topic.
>
> I can see the following options, would you mind adding your +1
> to one of them or add another one?
>

> 1) We should release 1.4 without UUIDs, the issue is to complex
>    and should be discussed in detail later on.

-1 because we are just postponing one of the most important problems
Lenya has until
tomorrow and I think we would waste a lot of resources again and again
and again ...

> 2) We should introduce UUIDs in a straightforward manner:
>
>    - sitetree references documents using UUIDs

I guess you mean something like

<site>
<node uuid="..."

+1

>    - the persistence layer knows only about UUIDs

-1, resp. I think we should also pass the path but do the default
implementation with UUID
>    - the default persistence impl. uses UUID+language as filename

+1 (but please see above)
>    - links are resolved when a page is rendered

+1 resp. is there any alternative ;-) ?

> 3) The concept of paths should be kept. URLs are mapped to paths,
>    i.e. the sitetree contains path references. The URL space
>    might change, the path space might not

I would consider this the VirtualFileSystem implementation and I would
be happy
to implement this as an alternative to the default from above, but it
would require that
the path is passed to the persistance manager...

> (otherwise we would
>    still be moving documents around, which is IMO a bad thing).

very much agreed

> 4) It should be in 1.4, but I don't like options (2) and (3).
>    IMO it should be implemented like this:
>
> ----
>
> Another issue: UUIDs vs. UNIDs
>
> Do you prefer
>
> a) UUIDs (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UUID)
>
> b) Lenya-specific UNIDs which might be human-readable

what about a factory ... ?

Thanks

Michi

--