lenya-dev mailing list archives

From Jörn Nettingsmeier <pol-ad...@uni-duisburg.de>
Subject patch to integrate the cocoon profiler into lenya
Date Tue, 06 Jun 2006 18:26:33 GMT
hi everyone!

i've wrapped up the cocoon profiler into a nice package to help lenya
site admins with their pipeline debugging.

for those who haven't used it yet: the cocoon profiler collects runtime
statistics about specific pipelines, *and* allows you to view the
intermediate stages of the xml output. veeeeery nice.

here's the module for you to try:
http://pol-serv1.politik.uni-due.de/~nettings/lenya-profiling-0_0_2.zip

you need to unpack it in your module directory (src/modules/, or any
local module directory you have defined in local.build.properties).

then apply the attached patch to activate the module for the default
publication.

this patch will cause a menu item to be added to the "file" menu in the
admin tab: "view profiler output".

i have modified the original cocoon stylesheet to include a helpful
message in case no data is available yet (because no pipeline has been
re-typed as "profile-noncaching").

in order to make the xml output more readable, a second module
"xmlprettyprinting" is included, which just contains ons xslt that does
xml indenting, and a sitemap to make it available. i'm using this thing
all over the place, and it felt wrong to have multiple copies of it,
hence the module.

open issues:

1. this package contains a copy of the "XML to HTML Verbatim Formatter
with Syntax Highlighting" by oliver becker,
http://www2.informatik.hu-berlin.de/~obecker/XSLT/
it is licensed under the lgpl, so i'm told the package might not be
suited for inclusion in the lenya repository. either we use an ant task
to download it later, or we replace it. it's nice to have, but
non-essential.

2. it's currently not clear to me how to cleanly call module resources
from the outside. within cocoon, we have the nice
cocoon://modules/<module> way. for external links, i'm using
/modules/<module>/,,, atm, but this will break as soon as people run
lenya in a non-root context. any hints on how to solve this are welcome.

3. thanks to doug chestnut i could fix the syntax highlighting, but
caveat emptor: it works, but i have no idea why :)

4. please take a look at config/menu.xsp, but only if no small children
are in the room. this should really be changed into a proper usecase,
right now it's a really horror show. patches welcome.

best,

jörn

--
"Open source takes the bullshit out of software."
	- Charles Ferguson on TechnologyReview.com

--
Jörn Nettingsmeier, EDV-Administrator
Institut für Politikwissenschaft