lenya-dev mailing list archives

From Andreas Hartmann <andr...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [RT] Generate doctype selection for creator
Date Mon, 09 Jun 2003 12:20:20 GMT
Michael Wechner wrote:

> Andreas Hartmann wrote:
>
>> Hi Lenya developers,
>>
>> the possible children of a doctype are declared in
>> the doctypes.xconf file, so wouldn't it be possible
>> to insert a combobox on the creator screen?
>
> I disagree on the combobox, because each creator (depending on the "new
> doctype") can have
> very specific parameters to pass along.

OK, so you think there is no way to make the creator generic?

I have to do more brainstorming on this (just random thoughts ...)
E.g., maybe we could use an AntTask-based creator:

- a target for every document type with the needed property definitions
- the task is parameterized with the target (this is already
   implemented)
- for every creator type there is Java code that generates the
   appropriate parameter values from the page envelope, config files etc.
- this way, the sub-menu generation could be automatized

>> Another possiblity would be to filter the menu
>> (or add a sub-menu)
>
> The sub-menu is the way to go. It was actually always intended like this,
> but nobody ever wrote a "Menu-JavaScript" with submenus. It is also
> reflecting common UI experience.

+1

Maybe we could even use CSS for menu generation?
http://www.meyerweb.com/eric/css/edge/menus/demo.html

Andreas