lenya-dev mailing list archives

From Daniel Fagerstrom <dani...@nada.kth.se>
Subject Re: Workflow history file
Date Thu, 05 Jun 2003 12:10:00 GMT
Andreas Hartmann wrote:

> Hi Lenya developers,
>
> what do you think of the following draft of a workflow
> history file:
>
> <wf:history
>     xmlns:wf="http://apache.org/cocoon/lenya/workflow/1.0"
>     doctype="simple-document">
>
>   <wf:version date="(?)" state="redaktion" user="michael"/>
>   <wf:version date="(?)" event="publish" state="review" user="gregor"/>
>
> </wf:history>

I think that the WF history should refer to the WF definition as well.
Otherwise it is unclear how the states, events and so on are defined. I
would propose to use an URI to identify a WF definition, it is the
standard way of refering to resources at the web and for some
applications it probably makes sense to publish the WF definition as
well and in that case an URI is a natural way to find it.

If the WF history is separate from the WF instance, the WF history
should refer to the instance identifier as well.

Is version a relevant name for all activities that are performed in th
WF? In the WFMC reference model they use the term activity instead, IIRC.

> Each entry (besides the first one) marks a transition.
> Attributes:
>    - the event that triggered the transition
>    - the user that invoked the event
>    - the destination state of the transition
>      (this is redundant, but it is quite hard to
>      reproduce it, so I would add it to the history)
>
> The question is how to insert the date so that it is
> easily transformable into a human-readable format with XSLT.
> Is there a typical or best-practise date element/attribute definition?

XSLT 1.0 is rather weak at date handling, most XSLT processors (e.g.
Xalan) implements the date functions from exslt.org however. exslt
assumes the dates are represented as in XMLSchema part 2, i.e. as
YYYY-MM-DDThh:mm:ss, this is the format that will be used in XPath 2 as
well.