labs-labs mailing list archives

From "Raphael Bircher" <rbircherapa...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Releases
Date Fri, 10 Mar 2017 15:21:23 GMT
Hi Graham

Am .03.2017, 15:34 Uhr, schrieb Graham Leggett <minfrin@sharp.fm>:

> On 10 Mar 2017, at 3:48 PM, Hadrian Zbarcea <hzbarcea@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>> I think the purpose of Labs should be this:
>>>
>>> “Labs is the place where you develop software with the goal of
>>> introducing that software to the Apache Incubator”.
>> So you *really* believe that an labs being a incubator-incubator or
>> pre-incubator will provide enough value to attract committers to start
>> here instead of github?
>
> It depends on whether people want to be an Apache project or not.
>
>> Isn't it exactly what labs are about today? Labs didn't attract many
>> projects in the past years, what makes us think that they will in the
>> future?
>
> If Labs positions itself properly and explains how it fits into the
> overall Apache picture, I don’t see why this wouldn’t be a problem.
>
> When people demand releases out of Labs, it means they don’t yet
> understand how Apache works, or what Apache is supposed to do for them.
> In cases like this is the proposed project a fit for the ASF?
At the moment it looks for me as you are against any change. But you don't
tell us any reason for it, You just say no. Is this Apache Way? Not
really, right?

No one ask to do a full release out of labs. We talked about snapshots or
something similar. And BTW most Project who enters the incubator have had
already a release outside incubator.

I wonder what are your arguments against a snapshot (or whatever we call
this) out of the labs.

Regards, Raphael