labs-labs mailing list archives

From "Raphael Bircher" <rbircherapa...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Reasons for not using Github ...
Date Wed, 08 Mar 2017 21:13:58 GMT
Am .03.2017, 21:31 Uhr, schrieb Hadrian Zbarcea <hzbarcea@gmail.com>:

> Well, there was an implied "as of now" :). You're obviously correct (and
> don't call me Shirley, sorry couldn't resist).
>
> That said, as I mentioned a while ago, wouldn't this make it sort of an
> incubator@ competitor? There were many proposals and suggestions made in
> the past. I am sure you're aware of them, but I'd recommend new
> subscribers go read the archives.

I don't think, this is a competitor of the incubator. I believe it's the
step before. To start new projects from the scratch. But in difference to
GitHub clearly under the Apache Way. Remember you can not start a project
at the incubator. Witch is good on one side, but nasty on the other. At
the Moment you are forced to go outside Apache to bring the project back
to apache soon after. I mean, this makes no sense. I think this gab has to
be closed. Apache Labs can do that job very well.

For me it looks like the Apache Lab was a playground for devs in the past.
If so, then I agree, a playground is not really useful anymore. There are
enough playgrounds around. But if you start a new project, and you already
know, that the project should go to Apache, then you have no support from
the ASF. This should change.

Regards, Raphael

PS: I bet, many of us has already a project in mind ;-)