labs-labs mailing list archives

From Wade Chandler <wadechand...@apache.org>
Subject What are the essential characteristics of the missing "release" that some believe disadvantage us
Date Tue, 14 Mar 2017 04:45:19 GMT
I figured I would start a thread on specifically this question from the
releases thread.

I think something many devs do today, probably most, whether it be with
NodeJs, .Net and Nuget, or Java and Maven repos, when they try out
libraries, even for experimentation, is to look for some coordinates to add
to the build tool of the day.

This is considered a nice thing, and creates a low barrier for entry. I
find it rare that any of my teams of moderately recent years prefer
something different. Even the C++ community is working on dependency
delivery mechanisms, and outside of that quite many rely on prebuilt
binaries for their OS for build dependencies.

Who prefers to have to build a dependency, then add the jar to their build?
To me that is a big deal. Tools make a huge difference in usage.

Besides libraries, it is advantagious to allow users to take a link, and
find a package they can download and use in the case of applications.

This gets to the meat of the issue for me. If I am going to spend time
building something, or even try out others ideas, I want as little friction
to make that happen as possible; for myself or others. It is hard to get
something off the ground without building up some users.

Thanks

Wade