labs-labs mailing list archives

From Graham Leggett <minf...@sharp.fm>
Subject Re: Releases
Date Fri, 10 Mar 2017 14:34:44 GMT
On 10 Mar 2017, at 3:48 PM, Hadrian Zbarcea <hzbarcea@gmail.com> wrote:

>> I think the purpose of Labs should be this:
>>
>> “Labs is the place where you develop software with the goal of introducing that
software to the Apache Incubator”.
> So you *really* believe that an labs being a incubator-incubator or pre-incubator will
provide enough value to attract committers to start here instead of github?

It depends on whether people want to be an Apache project or not.

> Isn't it exactly what labs are about today? Labs didn't attract many projects in the
past years, what makes us think that they will in the future?

If Labs positions itself properly and explains how it fits into the overall Apache picture,
I don’t see why this wouldn’t be a problem.

When people demand releases out of Labs, it means they don’t yet understand how Apache works,
or what Apache is supposed to do for them. In cases like this is the proposed project a fit
for the ASF?

>> The point at which you enter the Apache Incubator is the point at which you want
to make your first release.

>> This discussion should really happen in collaboration with the incubator folks. Ideally
Labs and the Incubator should work closely together, or the Labs project should even be a
subproject of the incubator.
> My understanding is that projects are meant to graduate out of the incubator. This proposal
implies that labs@ are not meant to graduate, right?

Not following the logic, can you explain again?

Regards,
Graham
—