labs-labs mailing list archives

From jan iversen <jancasacon...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Reasons for not using Github ...
Date Wed, 08 Mar 2017 19:09:00 GMT

> On 8 Mar 2017, at 19:56, Christofer Dutz <christofer.dutz@c-ware.de> wrote:
>
> Hi guys
>
> As I said, in our Apache Roadshow one thing I liked to point out when someone asked:
“Why labs if I can use Github?” was that by contributing to a project at Apache Labs you
have the benefit of enhanced protection against lawsuits.
I agree on that, but as labs cannot make releases the protection is quite brutal.....If you
just make your source available "as is" you do not have lawsuits (otherwise github would be
long gone). But when you make a release, and make statements in the release documentation
you have a risk (which is not applicable to the current labs).

And please remember thanks to infra any project in apache can use github in a not very limited
way.

> For me that’s an important point. Eventually it would be good to collect such points
and prominently advertise them on the welcoming page of Labs.
We can advertise that as a reason why labs do not make releases, but that does not help solve
the problem. If labs could make releases this would be a big selling point.

I agree that in general we should collect positive points,
rgds
jan i