labs-labs mailing list archives

From Hadrian Zbarcea <hzbar...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Releases
Date Fri, 10 Mar 2017 13:48:39 GMT

On 03/10/2017 06:45 AM, Graham Leggett wrote:
> On 08 Mar 2017, at 7:15 PM, jan iversen <jancasacondor@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> If you compare with GitHub, I can make a release every day if I want (and call it
a release), so why limit myself ?

> You can release every day at Github sure, but you can’t call those releases Apache
releases. To be released by the Apache Software Foundation means something very specific.

> I think the purpose of Labs should be this:
>
> “Labs is the place where you develop software with the goal of introducing that software
to the Apache Incubator”.
So you *really* believe that an labs being a incubator-incubator or
pre-incubator will provide enough value to attract committers to start
here instead of github?

Isn't it exactly what labs are about today? Labs didn't attract many
projects in the past years, what makes us think that they will in the
future?

> The point at which you enter the Apache Incubator is the point at which you want to make
your first release.

> This discussion should really happen in collaboration with the incubator folks. Ideally
Labs and the Incubator should work closely together, or the Labs project should even be a
subproject of the incubator.
My understanding is that projects are meant to graduate out of the
incubator. This proposal implies that labs@ are not meant to graduate,
right?