labs-labs mailing list archives

From jan iversen <jancasacon...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Releases
Date Wed, 08 Mar 2017 17:15:33 GMT

> On 8 Mar 2017, at 16:27, Danny Angus <danny@apache.org> wrote:
>
> Hi
> I would love to be the kind of guy who would set out a series of topics
> that we need to discuss, contextualise them and initiate each one,
> collating the output at the end, but I'm not.
>
> So I have a question for the people who have mentioned lack of releases as
> a problem..
>
> The idea behind "no releases" was that a release implies that certain
> standards common to the ASF are being met, standards which Labs don't
> apply, and that if a lab needs to cut a release it probably has enough
> users and maintainers to become a project of its own.
>
> So my question to those people is this; Is it the lack of the formality and
> assurance that is a problem or the lack of a build? Would "pre-release
> downloads" be enough?

Seen from what I learned….even a one person community want to have “something” out there,
that is equal to a release. So no the term “pre-release downloads” would not really make
many happy (that can be done and are done already today).

If you look at incubator, they have a slightly different set of release rules. I had a vision
of something called “LABS-Release, limited responsibility”. We would still do the IP check
etc, but not have a 3 person PMC voting.

If you compare with GitHub, I can make a release every day if I want (and call it a release),
so why limit myself ?

rgds
jan I.