labs-labs mailing list archives

From Graham Leggett <minf...@sharp.fm>
Subject Re: Releases
Date Fri, 10 Mar 2017 11:45:37 GMT
On 08 Mar 2017, at 7:15 PM, jan iversen <jancasacondor@gmail.com> wrote:

> If you compare with GitHub, I can make a release every day if I want (and call it a release),
so why limit myself ?

You can release every day at Github sure, but you can’t call those releases Apache releases.
To be released by the Apache Software Foundation means something very specific.

I think the purpose of Labs should be this:

“Labs is the place where you develop software with the goal of introducing that software
to the Apache Incubator”.

The point at which you enter the Apache Incubator is the point at which you want to make your
first release.

This discussion should really happen in collaboration with the incubator folks. Ideally Labs
and the Incubator should work closely together, or the Labs project should even be a subproject
of the incubator.

Regards,
Graham
—