labs-labs mailing list archives

From jan iversen <jancasacon...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Future of labs
Date Wed, 27 Apr 2016 08:26:31 GMT

> On 27 Apr 2016, at 10:18, Danny Angus <danny@apache.org> wrote:
>
> Hi Guys,
>
> So I have collated feedback from my email to labs list and I think what we
> need to do first is answer the following questions..

Here are my input, based on my past experience.

> 1.1/ What is the purpose of Labs, what are we offering that isn't available
> elsewhere
Currently we are offering less than what is available elsewhere, with the exception of the
apache name.

> 1.2/ Is that still relevant in today's ASF
I believe so, but in a repositioned form.

> 1.3/ If yes to 2 why does it appear to be underutilised?
Because "just" being a repo holder brings no benefits.

> 1.4/ if no to 2 is there an alternate "mission" that labs could fulfil?
yes.

> Having done that we can then take one of the following actions
>
> 2.1/ close down the project and move it to the attic
That would be a sad thing to do.

> 2.2/ pivot the project to serve a new purpose
We could position ourself as a pre-incubator project. Incubator frequently sees small projects,
that need to grow before entering incubator. When asking these projects to go away and grow
elsewhere, there is a good chance they are lost for us. If Labs could be a playing ground
for such projects, there is a good chance some of them will grow and move on to incubator.

> 2.3/ address the points raised in 1.3 above
>
> Questions i have for the group are...
>
> a) do you agree with this synopsis?
yes
> b) if so should we reach out to the whole committer-ship to encourage as
> wide a participation in the debate as possible, or keep it to either the
> members or just this self selected group?
I think reaching out without having something to present is lost efford.

rgds
jan i.

Ps. Congrats with your new role.