labs-labs mailing list archives

From Danny Angus <da...@apache.org>
Subject Future of labs
Date Wed, 27 Apr 2016 08:18:11 GMT
Hi Guys,

So I have collated feedback from my email to labs list and I think what we
need to do first is answer the following questions..

1.1/ What is the purpose of Labs, what are we offering that isn't available
elsewhere
1.2/ Is that still relevant in today's ASF
1.3/ If yes to 2 why does it appear to be underutilised?
1.4/ if no to 2 is there an alternate "mission" that labs could fulfil?

Having done that we can then take one of the following actions

2.1/ close down the project and move it to the attic
2.2/ pivot the project to serve a new purpose
2.3/ address the points raised in 1.3 above

Questions i have for the group are...

a) do you agree with this synopsis?
b) if so should we reach out to the whole committer-ship to encourage as
wide a participation in the debate as possible, or keep it to either the
members or just this self selected group?

What do you think?

d.