labs-labs mailing list archives

From Rich Bowen <rbo...@rcbowen.com>
Subject Re: so what needs done round here?
Date Tue, 05 Apr 2016 20:42:06 GMT

On 04/04/2016 11:51 AM, Danny Angus wrote:
> So after I recklessly offered to step up and let Jan move on I started
> wondering where labs was at, and had a look round at some stuff.
>
> I have a small amount of time to offer to the role, the PMC role, not
> coding any particular lab, and I was wondering if anyone has a todo list of
> admin and/or organisational tasks that they'd like me to pick up.
>
> From my own observations I have one suggestion
>
> My bugbear is the list of projects on the website, which I don't think is
> very informative and doesn't even contain as much info as is in the
> doap.rdf files. I'd propose to write a script or xslt or something to
> generate the list from the doap files.
>
> I'd also like to chase down the PI on each lab and make sure that the
> stauses are up-to-date.

I would personally like to see Labs return to its roots - or, perhaps to
what I originally understood it was to be. That is an easy place for
Apache folks to spin up a test project. I feel that the barrier to entry
is too high. We need to encourage people to start projects, without
having to justify them. Right now, the default path is "make a project
on github."

Perhaps we need to step back a bit further and figure out what we're
trying to do here, and why.

Meanwhile, I want to start a project - an ASF version of what I'm doing
at https://github.com/rbowen/openstack-echo - and labs is the obvious
place to do it. But my initial gut feeling is, way too much overhead,
why bother?

I'd like to figure out how we can make Labs a place where if an Apache
member wants to start a project, they think of Labs first, rather than
Github.

Thoughts?

http://apachecon.com/ - @apachecon