labs-labs mailing list archives

From "Roy T. Fielding" <field...@gbiv.com>
Subject Re: Lab for distributed SCM?
Date Fri, 22 Feb 2008 17:32:08 GMT
On Feb 21, 2008, at 10:53 PM, Mike Heath wrote:

> I have to respectfully disagree with Roy.  I understand a lot of his
> points but I don't see how today's dSCM tools and the Apache Way are
> mutually exclusive.  Yes, dSCM facilitates the "Linux Way" but dSCM
> does
> not mandate a decentralized process.  There are a lot of features
> available in today's dSCM tools that are completely orthogonal to any
> particular open source philosophy.

Well, if you could come up with those features and experiment with them
in a meaningful way, then I have no objection to using a Lab for that.
What I don't want to see is a pocket full of advocacy for isolated
development -- just because the tools make it easier doesn't make it
good.
Likewise, if you intend to analyze the parts of gSCM systems that don't
scale in the hope of finding fixes/workarounds, then by all means do so.
Just don't assume that the folks who built Subversion (or people like
me,
who just did a lot of research on gSEE back in the 90s) are somehow
unaware of the advantages/disadvantages of dSCM.

....Roy