labs-labs mailing list archives

From "Brian McCallister" <bri...@skife.org>
Subject Re: Lab for distributed SCM?
Date Fri, 22 Feb 2008 04:58:05 GMT
On Wed, Feb 20, 2008 at 11:26 AM, Roy T. Fielding <fielding@gbiv.com> wrote:

I don't understand what the big deal is about.  dSCM systems are
> specifically designed to solve the problems of Linux-style development,
> where each developer has their own working tree and they are only
> vaguely working on a common problem.

I think a lot of the attraction is some specific features that exist in the
dscm systems, rather than the inherent distributed nature of them. Easy/sane
merging, better support for many-branches development, and local commits
come to mind as the biggest. If svn supported them, the clamor would die.

-Brian