labs-labs mailing list archives

From "Jukka Zitting" <jukka.zitt...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Lab for distributed SCM?
Date Sun, 24 Feb 2008 11:03:39 GMT
Hi,

Here's an attempt to consolidate some of the thoughts and ideas voiced
about this here and elsewhere.

* Subversion is here to stay. There are currently no major reasons for
switching away from Subversion as the central repository of all Apache
source code.

* That said, there are use cases (and people itching about them) that
Subversion doesn't currently support as well as many dSCM systems do.

* The purpose of this effort (Lab or not) should be to identify and
explore those use cases to find out a) whether we should spend effort
supporting them, b) how to best support them using available tools and
infrastructure, and c) what to do in case current tools are not
enough.

* The expected results of this effort would be documentation for cases
a and b, and patches and other development/testing support for
Subversion and other tools for case c.

* Infrastructure seems like the correct place to do this, but a Lab
would be a good alternative if we can't come up with an Infrastructure
forum that is OK for everyone.

BR,

Jukka Zitting