labs-labs mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <stef...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Lab for distributed SCM?
Date Fri, 22 Feb 2008 20:42:09 GMT
Paul Querna wrote:
> Jukka Zitting wrote:
>> I think Apache Labs would be a perfect place for such work. Are there
>> people who'd be interested in collaborating on such a lab? The lab
>> wouldn't really be producing much software, just documentation, helper
>> scripts, and other such stuff. Most importantly it would provide a
>> neutral ground for discussing the merits of different systems and
>> practices.
>
> -1, this isn't the purpose of Labs.
>
> Labs are a playground for SOURCE CODE, not a "neutral ground for
> discussing" anything.  If you want to discuss stuff, take it to
> community@ (or other lists meant for it).

So why didn't you vote -1 to Roy's lab about the future of the HTTP
protocol? no code came out of that effort either.

If Jukka's proposed lab ends up producing even just a single text file
that lists various pros and cons and the sum of a constructive debate
between various styles of version control (including, hopefully, Roy's
own thoughts collected when he researched such things in the 90's), I
can hardly see that as different than Roy's lab or, for that matter,
harmful to anybody.

Of course, if the discussion ends up in a 'vi vs. emacs' style of
subjective battle, I will be the first one to propose the lab to be
dropped and such energy-consuming discussions moved somewhere else.

But assuming this is going to be case early on is, IMO, unfair and
counterproductive to the spirit of 'collaborative applied research' that
labs was created to provide.

--
Stefano.