labs-labs mailing list archives

From Joe Schaefer <joe_schae...@yahoo.com>
Subject Subject: Re: Lab for distributed SCM?
Date Sat, 23 Feb 2008 01:46:10 GMT
Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:

> Paul Querna wrote:

> > If there is another significant purpose of this
> > proposed lab, please tell me.
> >
> > But based on the original proposal, I believe that
> > there isn't a need for a Lab.
>
> Paul, thanks for expressing your concerns clearly,
> it does indeed help
> in evaluating the situation better.
>
> Even after your well thought-out points, I still
> find myself thinking
> that collecting information, solutions,
> state-of-the-art and general
> practices about the difference between centralized
> version control and
> distributed

That's already going on, at KDE.  For those of you
who don't know, KDE has a larger svn repository than
we do and is currently undergoing actual work to
convert to git.  KDE's karma model is much like
our own, except there once you get commit, you get
it everywhere (aka the Henri model).  They're busily
deciding how to convert that community into a
collection of Benevolent Dictators and Lieutenants,
because that's the way git works best.  git hardly
works at all at scale with a large project doing
consensus based development (it's push support sucks
compared to svn).

People doing actual work are far better at conducting
research than those who do little more than evangelize
their own weltanshauung.  Which is why the
infrastructure team has tried to push this duscussion
onto an infrastructure list and been rebuffed at each
turn, due largely IMO to human reactance (nobody talks
to the policemen when their "freedoms" are being
trampled on).

If people want to experiment with using git-svn or
svk or anything else, and there's something about
our infrastructure which prevents that, you need
only talk to infrastructure about it to see if it
can be resolved.  In most cases it can, rather easily.
But the experimentation should be carried out in
our projects where developers can evaluate
the effects of their own tool choices on their
peers, and listen to what their peers actually say.