labs-labs mailing list archives

From Mads Toftum <m...@toftum.dk>
Subject Re: Subject: Re: Lab for distributed SCM?
Date Sat, 23 Feb 2008 09:37:30 GMT
On Fri, Feb 22, 2008 at 09:39:17PM -0800, Matthieu Riou wrote:
> OpenSolaris is failing with Git but I'm not sure it's fair to put the fault
> on gSCMs, it's Sun's management that's at fault. OpenOffice has similar
> issues with CVS. For that matter there are quite a few scripts on SVN to
> maintain vendor branches (aka forks).

Opensolaris uses Mercurial, not git. They spent very long time testing
git, mercurial and many other options. They did some very thorough
testing and comparison to reach that result.
I think Mercurial works perfectly well for the kind of development they
want to do (any "failings" are due to  politics/legal, not the tool).
Just as well as I'm sure git does what it's supposed to for the linux
"benevolent dictatorship" model. But neither of those models are what
the ASF stands for and I'm very strongly opposed to providing tools and
support to those who wish to deviate from our model of community based
development.
I completely agree with Roy that distributed SCM isn't for us and I
agree with Paul that labs isn't the place. On a personal note as part of
the infrastructure team, I'm also rather disappointed at the actions of
some of the people who are trying to force their world view in through
the backdoor and yet there's been not one single mail on the topic going
to any of the infrastructure lists.

vh

Mads Toftum
--