labs-labs mailing list archives

From Paul Smith <psm...@aconex.com>
Subject [Pinpoint]: LGPL + new non-ASF committer question
Date Wed, 27 Feb 2008 02:23:14 GMT
I'll start with hopefully the easier of the two questions first.  I
make no secret that I suck at Web-based UI's.  I do however have
friends who are excellent at it, but they are non-Apache committers
and do not obviously have write access to the repository, but I
_would_ like them to.  What could be done here?  Obviously there's a
Contributers License agreement involved, and that should be easy
enough, but apart from that.. ?

Secondly, in discussion with said UI_experienced_guy, he is
recommending using ExtJS:

http://extjs.com/

which I must say is _schmick_ stuff, and he's already mocked up an
awesome UI for Pinpoint that I'm drooling over using it.  ExtJs is....
tadaaaa.. LPGL, so initially I groaned with licensing pain.

I know there has been looooooooong discussions within the ASF on LGPL,
and I swear I recently heard something that said it was ok to have an
Apache project 'import' an external library licensed under that.  I
even tried googling over the apache site to find some words from
Cliff, but alas I'm either dreaming, or misinformed.  Anyone know the
latest ? (I'll just send a note to legal-discuss otherwise, but
thought I'd combine a note).

cheers,

Paul Smith