labs-labs mailing list archives

From Santiago Gala <santiago.g...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Subject: Re: Lab for distributed SCM?
Date Sat, 23 Feb 2008 17:08:32 GMT

El sáb, 23-02-2008 a las 16:48 +0100, Roland Weber escribió:
> Santiago Gala wrote:
> > El vie, 22-02-2008 a las 17:46 -0800, Joe Schaefer escribió:
> >> If people want to experiment with using git-svn or
> >> svk or anything else, and there's something about
> >> our infrastructure which prevents that, you need
> >> only talk to infrastructure about it to see if it
> >> can be resolved.  In most cases it can, rather easily.
> >

> > I think having a closed list is a big part of the problem. In "normal"
> > projects the only list that is not public is purposely called private.
> > The only exceptions are a few sensitive lists (one or two per
> > committee/project) ... and *all* the infrastructure ones.
>
> The infrastructure lists are far from *closed*. Every committer
> can subscribe to infrastructure@ and infrastructure-dev@, and
> even non-committers can subscribe to site-dev@ by invitation.
> infrastructure-private is private and closed, but that's it.
> Btw, I don't see why non-committers have a need to discuss
> source code management at Apache. The problem I do see is that
> people don't find the discussions when they are searching with
> their preferred internet search engine.
>

> > I don't think this makes sense, specially as there is already one
> > specifically named "private".
>
> Have a look at the last section here:
>    http://www.apache.org/foundation/public-archives.html
>
> Requests are sent to infrastructure@, because that is the list
> where non-committers can post. Each requests will be handled
> confidentially. How does that fit with public archives?

I don't want infrastructure@ to be public. I'm more concerned that not a
single list about infrastructure is public.

I am concerned about the closeness of the infrastructure efforts in
general, but I seem to be the only one and I don't have enough energy to
keep such kind of fight. I won't go to spend this energy in non archived
places, as this would "attenuate" it instead of amplifying it. This I
have learned here.

I am interested in dSCM, be it in Apache or not. I am interested in new,
faster tools with better merge algorithms and remembered merges. Also in
discussing those tools and the principles of decentralization in the
context of development in the ASF.

Regards
Santiago

> cheers,