labs-labs mailing list archives

From Santiago Gala <santiago.g...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Lab for distributed SCM?
Date Fri, 22 Feb 2008 19:40:22 GMT

El jue, 21-02-2008 a las 20:58 -0800, Brian McCallister escribió:
> On Wed, Feb 20, 2008 at 11:26 AM, Roy T. Fielding <fielding@gbiv.com> wrote:
>
> I don't understand what the big deal is about.  dSCM systems are
> > specifically designed to solve the problems of Linux-style development,
> > where each developer has their own working tree and they are only
> > vaguely working on a common problem.

I don't think keeping a kernel working is "vaguely working on a common
problem", on one side. On the other, all those "their own working tree"
are backed up (literally) by a public copy which everybody can look and
take code from. This is less "isolated" than having a feature ongoing
for a week in a subversion checkout.

> I think a lot of the attraction is some specific features that exist in the
> dscm systems, rather than the inherent distributed nature of them. Easy/sane
> merging, better support for many-branches development, and local commits
> come to mind as the biggest. If svn supported them, the clamor would die.

Agreed. While I like the distributed nature, I don't think it is really
a killer in most cases. Killer features are the ones you mention, plus
speed and size of the working copy/clone.

--
Santiago Gala
http://memojo.com/~sgala/blog/