labs-labs mailing list archives

From Santiago Gala <sg...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Lab Request: Orthrus
Date Sat, 16 Feb 2008 19:49:22 GMT

El vie, 15-02-2008 a las 10:45 -0800, Paul Querna escribió:
> I would like a lab to build a modern implementation of RFC 2289[1], A
> One-Time Password System (OTP), also known as OPIE or S/Key.  The Lab
> would be named "Orthrus"[2].

+1

> OPIE[3] is the most common implementation available, and its last
> release was over 5 years ago.
>
> OPIE is currently included in the base of FreeBSD[4].
>
> The first goal would be to build a 'client' implementation, a portable
> replacement for OPIE's opiecalc, for use on operating systems like OSX,
> where opiecalc cannot compile without modification.

I'm no expert in the field, but a "eix otp" in my gentoo revealed a
number of packages (edited to remove false positives around "bootp" and
"dotproject"):

$ eix otp
* app-admin/otpcalc
     Available versions:  0.97-r2
     Homepage:            http://killa.net/infosec/otpCalc/

* net-irc/bobotpp
     Available versions:  *2.2.2 {guile}
     Homepage:            http://unknownlamer.org/code/bobot.html

* sys-auth/pam_sotp [1]
     Available versions:  ~0.3.3 {debug urandom}
     Homepage:            http://www.cavecanen.org/cs/projects/pam_sotp/
authentication

I'm not sure if any of this info helps, but I just paste it just in
case.

> Later goals would like to build a more complete library for OTP, for use
> in a server mode, possibly including a PAM module[5], and possibly
> figuring out Solaris integration.
>

> This code would align with the Apache Infrastructure's use of OTP for
> all root accounts where possible.
>
> [1] - http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2289.txt
> [2] - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orthrus
> [3] - http://www.inner.net/pub/opie/