labs-labs mailing list archives

From "Roy T. Fielding" <field...@gbiv.com>
Subject Re: [report] labs.apache.org
Date Wed, 14 Mar 2007 18:54:57 GMT
On Mar 14, 2007, at 12:02 AM, Justin Erenkrantz wrote:
> To be a bit more concrete (names removed to protect the innocent - if
> they wish to reveal their cloaks, they can), in httpd-land, a number
> of developers raised the concern that a committer should no longer be
> allowed to create a sandbox within the HTTP Server PMC because that's
> now the charter of the Labs.  The original committer was intending to
> start on a new version of httpd and wanted to try out some ideas and
> get feedback from dev@httpd - but, these individuals mentioned that
> they felt that such a proposal ought to be governed by the Labs PMC
> *not* by the HTTP Server PMC.  (I believe in the end, the sandbox was
> created within the httpd PMC SVN space.)

Heh, well, if said committers had been talking in email instead of
the great bitbucket of FUD that is IRC-land, the answer would have
been apparent almost immediately.  I created the httpd sandbox as
soon as the idea of 3.0 work was broached in the dev list, without
anyone asking for it -- the solution was obvious.  I would have done
the same for any experiment related to the httpd code base, unless
they specifically wanted to exclude the existing httpd committers.

Location, to me, is entirely based on oversight.  Stuff under httpd
is controlled by the HTTP Server PMC, so anyone experimenting in
that space is subject to our project guidelines and scope.  Stuff
under labs is controlled by the Labs PMC, which has a different set
of guidelines.  Aside from that, they are just bits in subversion.
There's no way in hell that I'd let the Labs PMC place limits on
the HTTP Server Project, just as I'd be shocked if Labs allowed
HTTP Server priorities to impact the scope of new labs.

If someone thinks they can build a better httpd without interference
from the existing PMC, then I'd +1 their project as a Lab.  I know
how to copy-n-paste, and sometimes it is easier to think without so
many people looking over your shoulder.

....Roy