labs-labs mailing list archives

From Sander Temme <scte...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [report] labs.apache.org
Date Tue, 13 Mar 2007 19:10:47 GMT

On Mar 12, 2007, at 9:03 AM, Justin Erenkrantz wrote:

> On 3/12/07, Stefano Mazzocchi <stefano@apache.org> wrote:
>> Labs have been very quiet lately, nothing really changed that
>> requires
>> board attention.
>>
>> Sorry for the short report, but really, I have nothing to say :-)
>
> I don't know if you saw the following note from our last meeting
> regarding Labs:
>
> ---
>       Justin shared with the board the fact that he had been told
> by some
>       that Labs was really intended to replace a PMC's sandbox
> (where the
>       Lab is a new branch of an existing project - i.e. related to
> an existing
>       project).  He indicated that this was not his understanding.
> The board
>       agreed; this was not and is not the purpose for Labs. Jim
> will follow
>       up with Stefano to see what can be done to make this clear.
> ---
>
> Anything to add here?  Is it the Labs PMC's intention to have labs
> replace sandboxes?

Do we have anything to say about this? It sounds like a bunch of FUD
to me ("told by some")... but we may need to strongify our language
somewhat. We said the following in November last year:

" - The Apache Labs will welcome existing lab-like efforts (sandboxes,
    whiteboards) from existing ASF TLPs to become labs."

as found on:

http://www.apache.org/foundation/records/minutes/2006/
board_minutes_2006_11_15.txt

I suppose that might have been taken the wrong way by "some".

Thoughts?

S.