labs-labs mailing list archives

From "Justin Erenkrantz" <jus...@erenkrantz.com>
Subject Re: [report] labs.apache.org
Date Wed, 14 Mar 2007 07:02:15 GMT
On 3/13/07, Stefano Mazzocchi <stefano@apache.org> wrote:
> Right.
>
> Labs has a charter, which was approved by the board and we are sticking
> to it. In that charter, we explicitly mention that we welcome efforts
> from all over the foundation, including things that were previously
> hosted inside other projects, sandboxes or otherwise.
>
> Nothing has changed since than.

Well, that's honestly still a bit confusing.

To be a bit more concrete (names removed to protect the innocent - if
they wish to reveal their cloaks, they can), in httpd-land, a number
of developers raised the concern that a committer should no longer be
allowed to create a sandbox within the HTTP Server PMC because that's
now the charter of the Labs.  The original committer was intending to
start on a new version of httpd and wanted to try out some ideas and
get feedback from dev@httpd - but, these individuals mentioned that
they felt that such a proposal ought to be governed by the Labs PMC
*not* by the HTTP Server PMC.  (I believe in the end, the sandbox was
created within the httpd PMC SVN space.)

Hence, my question to the Labs PMC: is the above characterization in
agreement with your interpretation of the Labs charter?

Your statement sounds like that's indeed the case - well, kinda sorta at least.

Thanks!  -- justin