labs-labs mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: [report] labs.apache.org
Date Wed, 14 Mar 2007 18:23:25 GMT
Leo Simons wrote:

>> To clarify, said anonymous committer was told a copy of the project,
>> modulo their changes was welcome in a sandbox.
>
> Sorry, but it's not clarifying, Bill. Told by whom, told why, and why
> does labs@ care? I also don't understand the "modulo"-ness.

Labs doesn't care; I meant to say anyone can clone or develop new code in
an httpd sandbox - but projects ask for working code.  The developer only
desired to toss together some odd bits of source code that weren't intended
to become part of the project as-is and just begin to experiment.

>> All of which most seems to fall into the scope of a labs. experiment.
>
> *shrug*. Maybe, maybe not. It sounds like an experiment with an existing
> codebase,

Nope - that wasn't what they wanted to do...

> so I would think it would normally, you know, be kept close to
> that codebase. Just because you can do something like
>
>   svn cp -m "Starting some-idea" https://.../trunk
> https://.../branches/some-idea
>   svn cp ...-trunk ...-some-idea
>   cd ...-some-idea
>   svn switch https://.../branches/some-idea
>   vi some.file
>   vi some.other.file
>   svn ci -m "WDYT?" some.file some.other.file

Agreed - that's our impression of a sandbox.

> Of course the HTTPD PMC can decide to disallow such things if they want,
> but I certainly think that this kind of toying around can be quite
> healthy and I'd support it if I was on the HTTPD PMC.

We do, and it -wasn't- what the developer desired.  And actually, if their
experiment succeeded, it would be a event model for more than 'just httpd'.
It's why we suggested labs for the particular nature of what they wanted
to hack at.

>> And heck, if you want to sandbox an experiment and encounter resistance
>> by your project, you SHOULD proceed to prove your experiment at the
>> labs and bring back the finished work to your peers.
>
> Actually, you should then feel free to do a whole variety of things, and
> bringing the experiment to the labs is only one of many things you could
> consider. You could blog about it, start a project on SF or google code,
> or decide to give up open source development alltogether and go travel
> around the globe on foot.

+1 :)  LOL

> I don't think I would approach the labs project. Of course, that's all
> pretty hypothetical, since I've never really worked on a project where
> any of my experiments encountered a lot of resistance.

Perhaps I don't understand labs then :)  But from what it seemed this dev
wanted to do, without httpd oversight but just pursue their brainstorm
until it turned into something working (and who's principals could THEN
be applied to an httpd source code rewrite).