labs-labs mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: [report] labs.apache.org
Date Wed, 14 Mar 2007 07:55:40 GMT
Justin Erenkrantz wrote:

> To be a bit more concrete (names removed to protect the innocent - if
> they wish to reveal their cloaks, they can), in httpd-land, a number
> of developers raised the concern that a committer should no longer be
> allowed to create a sandbox within the HTTP Server PMC because that's
> now the charter of the Labs.  The original committer was intending to
> start on a new version of httpd and wanted to try out some ideas and
> get feedback from dev@httpd - but, these individuals mentioned that
> they felt that such a proposal ought to be governed by the Labs PMC
> *not* by the HTTP Server PMC.  (I believe in the end, the sandbox was
> created within the httpd PMC SVN space.)

To clarify, said anonymous committer was told a copy of the project,
modulo their changes was welcome in a sandbox.

The particular case they wanted was to mess with one source file not
in a project tree, to prove a concept, and the committer didn't even
expect the source code they planned to commit to necessarily work or
become part of the project, simply to illustrate that something could
be done.

All of which most seems to fall into the scope of a labs. experiment.
I don't think most committers are confused by the difference between
sandboxes and labs.

And heck, if you want to sandbox an experiment and encounter resistance
by your project, you SHOULD proceed to prove your experiment at the
labs and bring back the finished work to your peers.