This is a good question. We had reorg the branches and versions recently. There was a discussion in the dev list but I forget to announce in the user list.

http://apache-kylin.74782.x6.nabble.com/Back-to-one-dev-branch-td3851.html

In short, there will be only one main dev branch going forward, which is the master. 2.x-staging has been merged into master. New releases will fork off the master and take simple incremental version numbers (v1.4, v1.5...).

For new users, we highly recommend the latest release v1.5.0. It has all the new features and bug fixes. Also the v1.5 metadata is NOT compatible with previous versions. Going for it directly will save migration effort.

Cheers
Yang