kylin-dev mailing list archives

From hongbin ma <mahong...@apache.org>
Subject [DISCUSS] fork Calcite and include the fork as a a submodule
Date Sun, 16 Apr 2017 14:39:12 GMT
Recently I'm testing kylin connectivity with multiple BI tools like
Tableau, Cognos, etc. During the test I find it necessary to fix several
Calcite issues, like CALCITE-1754. I'm more than willing to contribute the
fixes back to calcite, however there're still two potential issues:

1. Calcite has it's own release cycles, sometimes we cannot afford to wait
for calcite's next release
2. Some dirty hacks (yet still necessary) is not likely to be accepted by
Calcite. Currently there's a weird sub-project called "AtopCalcite" in
Kylin to host all the dirty hacks.

With the above two issues, I'm wondering what is the best way to interact
with Calcite releases. I'm suggesting that:

1. We fork Apache Calcite and call it sth like calcite-for-kylin
2. Upon each calcite fix from our side, we double-commit to both Apache
Calcite and calcite-for-kylin
3. For dirty hacks we only push code to calcite-for-kylin
4. calcite-for-kylin should be updated upon each Apache Calcite release

Any comment are welcomed!
@Julian Looking forward to your comments as well

--
Regards,