kylin-dev mailing list archives

From "Adunuthula, Seshu" <sadunuth...@ebay.com>
Subject Re: Kylin release plan - h1 2015
Date Mon, 12 Jan 2015 16:07:22 GMT
Luke,

Some thoughts before we tag Kylin as V1.0. We should spend some time on
the fundamentals of Kylin

1. Availability: Build out the DR capability in Kylin. We have an option
to DR both the offline Cube
Build/Refreshes or only the Cube Store (HBase). The cheaper choice would
be to DR the Cube Store (HBase)
By creating a Async Replication Instance of HBase on a different Colo.

2. Security: Currently the Kylin Cube security model inherits from the
underlying Hive metadata. This
Needs enhancing if we plan to get data from sources other than Hive. Kylin
should have its own security
Model independent of Hive and we should consider integration with the
security solutions out there
Knox/Sentry/Ranger etc.

3. Performance: We have internal performance numbers, but would like them
validated with externally
Recognizable benchmarks such as TPC-DS.

4. Diversity: I would like us to focus on diversity of committers and
deployments as the final criteria
For the V1 release.

Ron and Manju,

Would like commitment from Cloudera and Hortonworks towards moving the
needle on Kylin especially
On Fundamentals such as Security and Performance.

Regards
Seshu Adunuthula

PS: How come Apache DL emails are still in the 90s. Some formatting in the
emails would be nice :-)