kylin-dev mailing list archives

From Ted Dunning <ted.dunn...@gmail.com>
Subject talk accepted for noSQL matters
Date Thu, 18 Dec 2014 18:11:29 GMT
Kylin will be a topic at NoSQL Matters in March!

I am happy to inform you that your talk “Apache Kylin: OLAP cubes for NoSQL
> data stores” was accepted by our Program Committee!

Here is the abstract that I submitted:

The Apache Kylin project emerged from an EBay internal effort to build
efficient OLAP capabilities without support from the indexes available in a
relational store.  Instead, Kylin stores cube summaries in a NoSQL database
and depends on the advanced query optimizers available from Apache Calcite
to allow query reformulation as needed.

I will describe how Kylin does what it does and also what the implications
are for other Hadoop eco-systems that use Calcite optimizers such as Apache
Drill and possibly even Apache Hive.

This project has implications beyond Hadoop, however, since the flexible
nature of Apache Kylin (especially augmented by Drill), allow SQL with OLAP
cube capability on almost any NoSQL store.