kylin-dev mailing list archives

From Amareshwari Sriramdasu <amareshw...@apache.org>
Subject Understanding commonalties between kylin and lens
Date Fri, 26 Dec 2014 11:32:53 GMT
Hello Kylin developers,

I'm a developer at Apache Lens (incubator.apache.org/projects/lens.html),
doc avaialble at
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/lens/site/publish/current/index.html,
which tries solve similar problem as kylin wrt OLAP cubes. So, i'm sending
out this mail to understand commonalties and see if we can reuse and
collaborate on some.

Lens is an analytics platform which tries to give the ability to create
OLAP cube on top HCatalog tables, supports multiple storages to be the
underlying storage for fact and dimension data like HDFS, HBase,
traditional DWH, with pluggable execution engines to read the underlying
data. Lens provides other services like query lifecycle manager (with
history, statistics) which will allow to know which are the frequently
queried columns so that aggregated facts can be created on them.

You can see OLAP cube in lens here -
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/lens/site/publish/current/user/olap-cube.html

After going through the kylin docs(
http://www.slideshare.net/YangLi43/apache-kylin-deep-dive-2014-dec),  i
understand (correct me if i'm wrong) that
Kylin builds a cube by storing aggregated facts materialized in Hbase, it
constructs aggregated facts from tables in HDFS. It also provides ability
for administrator to define cube and cubeoids.

I see the commonalties are mainly wrt OLAP cube definitions. The
differentiators are Kylin gives an execution engine for running a query on
cube, whereas Lens doesn't have any execution engine in itself.

Let us know if the above details sound fine. If so, can look at what we can
do next to understand more.

Thanks
Amareshwari