kudu-user mailing list archives

From Boris Tyukin <bo...@boristyukin.com>
Subject Re: close Kudu client on timeout
Date Fri, 18 Jan 2019 02:17:30 GMT
I did not want to overload my question with details but since you asked :)
We use NiFi to consume data from 700+ topics. Each message is a json
object, produced by GoldenGate.

NiFi has ability to call a custom script, written in Groovy, and we use
that feature to parse json out, apply some logic like time zone conversion,
data type conversion, figure out operation type (insert, update, delete or
primary key update) and then apply operation to Kudu.

That script is a custom class which is initialized only once when you start
NiFi flow and then it has actual script executed repeatedly for each batch
of data

We thought about reusing Kudu client but because there is no init method or
anything like that, we need to create a client, open session, apply
operations and then close session and client. Even if we do all of that,
one batch can be processed under 400-500ms which is more than enough for us.

Back to your suggestion, since we do not have a lot of control over how
this script is executed, it is a bit tricky to reuse client instance. I
will look into this again though.

But if we re-use client and keep it open forever, is there a downside to
that? Like with relational databases, one would normally use connection
pool, that would create and dispose connections.