kudu-user mailing list archives

From Mac Noland <mcdonaldnol...@gmail.com>
Subject Tablets Per Tablet Server
Date Thu, 29 Nov 2018 17:58:26 GMT
Good day,

We have a number of customers using Kudu for a large number of tables from
db/warehouse offload use cases and commonly run into situations where our
tablets are over 2000 per tablet server.  Many of the tables are actually
small, but with the minimum of 2 partitions and default of 3 replicas, we
end up chewing up 6 tablets minimally for each table.  Being we have
customers way over this and are running fine, we understand this is not a
hard guideline, but overall does cause some concern with some customers
knowing we are outside of the written guidelines.

*The maximum number of tablets per tablet server is 2000, post-replication,
but we recommend 1000 tablets or fewer per tablet server.*
https://kudu.apache.org/docs/known_issues.html#_scale

Do we know how this number was picked and if there is any work being done
to look at what it would take to increase the number?  Or things we could
contribute to help increase that number?  Not 100% sure what we'd be
signing up for to do that, but always looking for opportunity to help.

Thanks in advance.

Mac