kudu-user mailing list archives

From Todd Lipcon <t...@cloudera.com>
Subject Re: Recommended maximum amount of stored data per tablet server
Date Thu, 02 Aug 2018 18:26:37 GMT
+1 to what Adar said.

One tension we have currently for scaling is that we don't want to scale
individual tablets too large, because of problems like the superblock that
Adar mentioned. However, the solution of just having more tablets is also
not a great one, since many of our startup time problems are primarily
affected by the number of tablets more than their size (see KUDU-38 as the
prime, ancient, example). Additionally, having lots of tablets increases
raft heartbeat traffic and may need to dial back those heartbeat intervals
to keep things stable.

All of these things can be addressed in time and with some work. If you are
interested in working on these areas to improve density that would be a
great contribution.

-Todd

--
Todd Lipcon