kudu-user mailing list archives

From Dan Burkert <danburk...@apache.org>
Subject Re: "broadcast" tablet replication for kudu?
Date Fri, 16 Mar 2018 18:09:14 GMT
The replication count is the number of tablet servers which Kudu will host
copies on.  So if you set the replication level to 5, Kudu will put the
data on 5 separate tablet servers.  There's no built-in broadcast table
feature; upping the replication factor is the closest thing.  A couple of
things to keep in mind:

- Always use an odd replication count.  This is important due to how the
Raft algorithm works.  Recent versions of Kudu won't even let you specify
an even number without flipping some flags.
- We don't test much much beyond 5 replicas.  It *should* work, but you may
run in to issues since it's a relatively rare configuration.  With a heavy
write workload and many replicas you are even more likely to encounter
issues.

It's also worth checking in an Impala forum whether it has features that
make joins against small broadcast tables better?  Perhaps Impala can cache
small tables locally when doing joins.

- Dan