kudu-user mailing list archives

From Mauricio Aristizabal <mauri...@impactradius.com>
Subject Re: "broadcast" tablet replication for kudu?
Date Fri, 16 Mar 2018 21:56:54 GMT
@Todd I know working with parquet in the past I've seen small dimensions
that fit in 1 single file/block limit parallelism of
join/exchange/aggregation nodes, and I've forced those dims to spread
across 20 or so blocks by leveraging SET PARQUET_FILE_SIZE=8m; or similar
when doing INSERT OVERWRITE to load them, which then allows these
operations to parallelize across that many nodes.

Wouldn't it be useful here for Cliff's small dims to be partitioned into a
couple tablets to similarly improve parallelism?

-m

On Fri, Mar 16, 2018 at 2:29 PM, Todd Lipcon <todd@cloudera.com> wrote:

> [...]
> one of the columns in the joined table, it will be pushed down to the
> "scan" operator, which happens before the "exchange". In addition, there is
> a feature called "runtime filters" that can push dynamically-generated
> filters from one side of the exchange to the other.
>

>> But since the Kudu client provides a serialized scanner as part of the
>> ScanToken API, why wouldn't Impala use that instead if it knows that the
>> table is Kudu and the query has any type of predicate? Perhaps if I
>> hash-partition the table I could maybe force this (because that complicates
>> a BROADCAST)? I guess this is really a question for Impala but perhaps
>> there is a more basic reason.
>>

> Impala could definitely be smarter, just a matter of programming
> Kudu-specific join strategies into the optimizer. Today, the optimizer
> isn't aware of the unique properties of Kudu scans vs other storage
> mechanisms.
>
> -Todd
>

>> -Cliff
>>
>> On Fri, Mar 16, 2018 at 4:10 PM, Todd Lipcon <todd@cloudera.com> wrote:

>>> Yea, when a client uses CLOSEST_REPLICA it will read a local one if
>>> available. However, that doesn't influence the higher level operation of
>>> the Impala (or Spark) planner. The planner isn't aware of the replication
>>> policy, so it will use one of the existing supported JOIN strategies. Given
>>> statistics, it will choose to broadcast the small table, which means that
>>> it will create a plan that looks like:
>>>

>>>                                    +-------------------------+
>>>                                    |                         |
>>>                         +---------->build      JOIN          |
>>>                         |          |                         |
>>>                         |          |              probe      |
>>>                  +--------------+  +-------------------------+
>>>                  |              |                  |
>>>                  | Exchange     |                  |
>>>             +----+ (broadcast   |                  |
>>>             |    |              |                  |
>>>             |    +--------------+                  |
>>>             |                                      |
>>>       +---------+                                  |
>>>       |         |                        +-----------------------+
>>>       |  SCAN   |                        |                       |
>>>       |  KUDU   |                        |   SCAN (other side)   |
>>>       |         |                        |                       |
>>>       +---------+                        +-----------------------+
>>>
>>> (hopefully the ASCII art comes through)
>>>
>>> In other words, the "scan kudu" operator scans the table once, and then
>>> replicates the results of that scan into the JOIN operator. The "scan kudu"
>>> operator of course will read its local copy, but it will still go through
>>> the exchange process.
>>>
>>> For the use case you're talking about, where the join is just looking up
>>> a single row by PK in a dimension table, ideally we'd be using an
>>> altogether different join strategy such as nested-loop join, with the inner
>>> "loop" actually being a Kudu PK lookup, but that strategy isn't implemented

 With

We

>>> --
>>> Todd Lipcon
>>> Software Engineer, Cloudera
>>>

> --
> Todd Lipcon
> Software Engineer, Cloudera

--
*MAURICIO ARISTIZABAL*
Architect - Business Intelligence + Data Science

Overview <http://www.impactradius.com/?src=slsap> | Twitter
<https://twitter.com/impactradius> | Facebook
<https://www.facebook.com/pages/Impact-Radius/153376411365183> | LinkedIn
<https://www.linkedin.com/company/impact-radius-inc->