kudu-user mailing list archives

From "Petter von Dolwitz (Hem)" <petter.von.dolw...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Data inconsistency after restart
Date Wed, 06 Dec 2017 12:26:46 GMT
Thanks for your reply Andrew!

>How did you verify that all the data was inserted and how did you find
some data missing?
This was done using Impala. We counted the rows for groups representing the
chunks we inserted.

>Following up on what I posted, take a look at https://kudu.apache.org/
docs/transaction_semantics.html#_read_operations_scans. It seems definitely
possible that not all of the rows had finished inserting when counting, or
that the scans were sent to a stale replica.
Before we shut down we could only see the following in the logs. I.e., no
sign that ingestion was still ongoing.

kudu-tserver.ip-xx-yyy-z-nnn.root.log.INFO.20171201-065232.90314:I1201
07:27:35.010694 90793 maintenance_manager.cc:383] P
a38902afefca4a85a5469d149df9b4cb: we have exceeded our soft memory limit
(current capacity is 67.52%).  However, there are no ops currently runnable
which would free memory.

Also the (cloudera) metric
total_kudu_rows_inserted_rate_across_kudu_replicas showed zero.

Still it seems like some data became inconsistent after restart. But if the
maintenance_manager performs important jobs that are required to ensure
that all data is inserted then I can understand why we ended up with
inconsistent data. But, if I understand you correct,  you are saying that
these jobs are not critical for ingestion. In the link you provided I read
"Impala scans are currently performed as READ_LATEST and have no
consistency guarantees.". I would assume this means that it does not
guarantee consistency if new data is inserted but should give valid (and
same) results if no new data is inserted?

I have not tried the ksck tool yet. Thank you for reminding. I will have a
look.

Br,
Petter