kudu-user mailing list archives

From Mike Percy <mpe...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Confused where to post user type questions
Date Wed, 29 Nov 2017 22:50:26 GMT
Hi Boris,
Here's my 2 cents. To some extent, chat vs email is a matter of personal
preference and we try to support both.

Personally I think Slack is nice for instant feedback when you can get it,
but email lists are better for questions. Chat channels are a kind of
stream-of-conversations and I often find that it's easy to miss someone's
comment or question while I'm in the middle of a discussion or when it's
been a busy day and there was a lot of activity while I was away.

Email threads have subject lines that make them hard to miss, plus they are
indexed by Google, which is helpful for others who have the same question
in the future. My recommendation would be to use this email list as much as
you're comfortable with, and I hope we can encourage more people to use it
because of the previously-stated benefits as well as the ability to
communicate with people who are not in your local time zone.

Regarding the Cloudera forums, it's not something I'd recommend in an
Apache context because we can't rely on it for Apache releases. Only
Cloudera's software releases are supported there. We need to provide an
avenue to support Apache software releases, so this email list (
user@kudu.apache.org) and Slack provide the basis for that.

Hope that helps. Thank you for asking this question and please continue to
raise any concerns with us when you're unable to get the help you need.

Mike