kudu-user mailing list archives

From Jean-Daniel Cryans <jdcry...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [ANNOUNCE] Apache Kudu 1.4.0 released
Date Mon, 19 Jun 2017 21:54:36 GMT
On Sun, Jun 18, 2017 at 11:16 PM, Pavel Martynov <mr.xkurt@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi!
>
> Thanks for an answer, I have a few questions more.
>
> I understand correctly that Cloudera will release packages later (maybe
> with next CDH release)? Based on previous experience, can you estimate this
> date, please?

(with my Cloudera hat on)

I can't, sorry.

> Is it possible to build rpm package myself? I can't find any info about
> this on https://kudu.apache.org/docs/installation.html.
> Also, I think source-only release very inconvenient in any production use
> case. Build new release on every node or distribute ELF files is just not
> an option.
> If you add some "build deb/rpm package" scripts - it will be great.

(with my ASF hat on)

I understand it's inconvenient. If someone was to provide scripts to build
packages I'm sure it'd be welcome, but actually supporting the
infrastructure to build them is a lot of work. Alternatively, this could be
contributed to Apache Bigtop.

For your immediate need, have you considered FPM?
https://www.digitalocean.com/community/tutorials/how-to-use-fpm-to-easily-create-packages-in-multiple-formats