kudu-user mailing list archives

From Jason Heo <jason.heo....@gmail.com>
Subject Question about redistributing tablets on failure of a tserver.
Date Wed, 12 Apr 2017 12:53:17 GMT
Hello.

I'm using Apache Kudu 1.2 on CDH 5.10.

Background
---------------

I'm currently using Elasticsearch to serve web analytic service.
Elasticsearch is very easy to manage cluster. One nice feature of ES is
that I can disable allocation of shard (shard is similar to tablet of Kudu)
intentionally so that I can restart one of physical servers without
rebalancing shards. Or entire cluster can be rolling restarted.

I hope Apache Kudu has similar features.

Question
-----------

I found that if a tserver doesn't respond for 5 minutes, it starts
replicating tablets. And "5 min" can be configured. So far so good.

Q1. Can I disable redistributing tablets on failure of a tserver? The
reason why I need this is described in Background.
Q2. redistribution goes on even if the failed tserver reconnected to
cluster. In my test cluster, it took 2 hours to distribute when a tserver
which has 3TB data was killed.
Q3. `--follower_unavailable_considered_failed_sec` can be changed without
restarting cluster?

I think this email is somewhat unclear. Please ask me again to clarify if
you could not understand me.

Thanks,

Jason.