kudu-user mailing list archives

From Dan Burkert <danburk...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Data encryption in Kudu
Date Tue, 25 Apr 2017 17:38:46 GMT
Hi Franco,

I think you are right that a client-based approach wouldn't work, because
we wouldn't want to encrypt at the level of individual cell values.  That
would get in the way of encoding, compression, predicate evaluation, etc.
As you note, adding encryption at the block layer is probably the way to
go.  Key management is definitely the tricky issue.  We do have one
advantage over HDFS - because Kudu does logical replication, the encryption
key can be scoped to a particular tablet server or tablet replica, it
wouldn't need to be shared among all replicas.  I haven't done enough
research to know if this makes it fundamentally easier to do key
management.  I would assume at a minimum we would want to integrate with
key providers such an HSM.  It would be good to have a thorough review of
existing solutions in the space, such as TDE
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transparent_Data_Encryption> and the Hadoop
KMS.  Is this something you are interested in working on?

- Dan