kudu-user mailing list archives

From Karthik Prasad Manchala <karthikp.manch...@impetus.co.in>
Subject Re: Kundera - JPA compliant Object Datastore Mapper for Kudu
Date Fri, 01 Jul 2016 11:20:04 GMT
Thanks for sharing J-D,

Since Kudu's data model is very close to relational databases, using Kudu with Object Mappers
would be very effective for some usecases.

Kundera supports Polyglot persistence<https://github.com/impetus-opensource/Kundera/wiki/Polyglot-Persistence>
out-of-the box, which allows usage and querying on more than one databases (ex.. Kudu + Cassandra)
with the simple JPA interface.

Kundera also supports indexing of column data on elasticsearch for extensive querying, just
with little configuration changes. Using this one can get the advantage of complex querying
on any datastore.

In addition, all the other advantages/disadvantages of a typical Object Mapper.

Best,

Karthik

________________________________
From: Jean-Daniel Cryans <jdcryans@apache.org>
Sent: 30 June 2016 20:49
To: user@kudu.incubator.apache.org
Cc: kundera
Subject: Re: Kundera - JPA compliant Object Datastore Mapper for Kudu

Cool, great to hear, Karthik :)

We do need some sort of roadmap on the website/wiki/or just as a list of jiras with tags.
Right now we've been mostly executing on this: http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/kudu-dev/201602.mbox/%3CCAGpTDNcMBWwX8p+yGKzHfL2xcmKTScU-rhLcQFSns1UVSbrXhw@mail.gmail.com%3E

We currently don't recommend running Kudu in production, so you won't find many instances
of it. This will change with 1.0 as described in the link above. You can still find some companies
using Kudu, for example Xiaomi's use case is described from slide #13 in this deck: http://www.slideshare.net/cloudera/apache-kudu-incubating-new-hadoop-storage-for-fast-analytics-on-fast-data-by-todd-lipcon-software-engineer-cloudera-kudu-founder

As for insights on using Kudu with Object Mappers, you tell me :) I think one thing missing
that'll make it even more powerful would be to have nested types support in Kudu. There's
a jira for it but no one's working on it: https://is<https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/KUDU-1261>thesues.apache.org/jira/browse/KUDU-1261<https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/KUDU-1261>

Cheers,

J-D

On Thu, Jun 30, 2016 at 1:48 AM, Karthik Prasad Manchala <karthikp.manchala@impetus.co.in<mailto:karthikp.manchala@impetus.co.in>>