kudu-user mailing list archives

From Benjamin Kim <bbuil...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Spark on Kudu
Date Wed, 15 Jun 2016 00:05:41 GMT
Hi,

Now, I’m getting this error when trying to write to the table.

import scala.collection.JavaConverters._
val key_seq = Seq(“my_id")
val key_list = List(“my_id”).asJava
kuduContext.createTable(tableName, df.schema, key_seq, new CreateTableOptions().setNumReplicas(1).addHashPartitions(key_list,
100))

df.write
    .options(Map("kudu.master" -> kuduMaster,"kudu.table" -> tableName))
    .mode("overwrite")
    .kudu

java.lang.RuntimeException: failed to write 1000 rows from DataFrame to Kudu; sample errors:
Not found: key not found (error 0)Not found: key not found (error 0)Not found: key not found
(error 0)Not found: key not found (error 0)Not found: key not found (error 0)

Does the key field need to be first in the DataFrame?

Thanks,
Ben

> On Jun 14, 2016, at 4:28 PM, Dan Burkert <dan@cloudera.com> wrote:
>

> On Tue, Jun 14, 2016 at 4:20 PM, Benjamin Kim <bbuild11@gmail.com <mailto:bbuild11@gmail.com>>
wrote:
> Dan,
>
> Thanks! It got further. Now, how do I set the Primary Key to be a column(s) in the DataFrame
and set the partitioning? Is it like this?

> kuduContext.createTable(tableName, df.schema, Seq(“my_id"), new CreateTableOptions().setNumReplicas(1).addHashPartitions(“my_id"))
>
> java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Table partitioning must be specified using setRangePartitionColumns
or addHashPartitions

> Yep.  The `Seq("my_id")` part of that call is specifying the set of primary key columns,
so in this case you have specified the single PK column "my_id".  The `addHashPartitions`
call adds hash partitioning to the table, in this case over the column "my_id" (which is good,
it must be over one or more PK columns, so in this case "my_id" is the one and only valid
combination).  However, the call to `addHashPartition` also takes the number of buckets as
the second param.  You shouldn't get the IllegalArgumentException as long as you are specifying
either `addHashPartitions` or `setRangePartitionColumns`.

> - Dan
>

> Thanks,
> Ben
>

>> On Jun 14, 2016, at 4:07 PM, Dan Burkert <dan@cloudera.com <mailto:dan@cloudera.com>>
wrote:

>> Looks like we're missing an import statement in that example.  Could you try:
>>
>> import org.kududb.client._
>> and try again?
>>
>> - Dan
>>
>> On Tue, Jun 14, 2016 at 4:01 PM, Benjamin Kim <bbuild11@gmail.com <mailto:bbuild11@gmail.com>>
wrote:
>> I encountered an error trying to create a table based on the documentation from a
DataFrame.

>> <console>:49: error: not found: type CreateTableOptions
>>               kuduContext.createTable(tableName, df.schema, Seq("key"), new CreateTableOptions().setNumReplicas(1))
>>
>> Is there something I’m missing?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Ben
>>
>>> On Jun 14, 2016, at 3:00 PM, Jean-Daniel Cryans <jdcryans@apache.org <mailto:jdcryans@apache.org>>
wrote:

>>> It's only in Cloudera's maven repo: https://repository.cloudera.com/cloudera/cloudera-repos/org/kududb/kudu-spark_2.10/0.9.0/
<https://repository.cloudera.com/cloudera/cloudera-repos/org/kududb/kudu-spark_2.10/0.9.0/>

>>> J-D
>>>
>>> On Tue, Jun 14, 2016 at 2:59 PM, Benjamin Kim <bbuild11@gmail.com <mailto:bbuild11@gmail.com>>
wrote:
>>> Hi J-D,
>>>
>>> I installed Kudu 0.9.0 using CM, but I can’t find the kudu-spark jar for spark-shell
to use. Can you show me where to find it?

<mailto:Christopher.George@rms.com>> wrote:

> [...]
api. It will also allow the creation and deletion of tables from a dataframe

able to implement similar functionality through the api.

it into gerrit if you want to take a look. http://gerrit.cloudera.org:8080/#/c/2754/ <http://gerrit.cloudera.org:8080/#/c/2754/>

for spark that will have pushdown predicates and insertion/update functionality (need to look
more at cassandra and the hbase datasource for best way to do this) I agree that server side
upsert would be helpful.
also make spark sql usable for kudu.

Impala is: 1. We have had trouble getting impala to run fast with high concurrency when compared
to spark 2. We interact with datasources which do not integrate with impala. 3. We have custom
sql query planners for extended sql functionality.

side we'll need more support from the servers. Right now all you can do is an INSERT then,
if you get a dup key, do an UPDATE. I guess we could at least add an API on the client side
that would manage it, but it wouldn't be atomic.

<mailto:mark@clearstorydata.com>> wrote:
> [...]
datasets in a Spark SQL environment.  Instead of a hack on top of a Parquet data store, I'm
hoping (among other reasons) to be able to use Kudu's write and timestamp-based read operations
to support not only appending data, but also updating existing data, and even some schema
migration.  The most typical use case is a dataset that is updated periodically (e.g., weekly
or monthly) in which the the preliminary data in the previous window (week or month) is updated
with values that are expected to remain unchanged from then on, and a new set of preliminary
values for the current window need to be added/appended.

on top of what Kudu has to offer isn't too much to ask, but the ease of integration with Spark
SQL will gate how quickly we would move to using Kudu and how seriously we'd look at alternatives
before making that decision.

it caught the attention of other folks!

delaying a refactoring of some Spark SQL-oriented insert functionality while trying to evaluate
what to expect from Kudu.  Whether Kudu does a good job supporting inserts with Spark SQL
will be a key consideration as to whether we adopt Kudu.

for you. Is it just that you currently do it that way into some database or parquet so with
minimal refactoring you'd be able to use Kudu? Would re-writing those SQL lines into Scala
and directly use the Java API's KuduSession be too much work?

VS your current solution? If it's not completely clear, I'd love to help you think through
it.

related to Spark? A SparkSQL integration that's as fully featured as Impala's? Do they care
being able to insert into Kudu with SparkSQL or just being able to query real fast? Anything
more specific to Spark that I'm missing?

At Cloudera all our resources are committed to making things happen in time, and a more fully
featured Spark integration isn't in our plans during that period. I'm really hoping someone
in the community will help with Spark, the same way we got a big contribution for the Flume
sink.

But, since it’s not “production-ready”, upper management doesn’t want to fully deploy
it yet. They just want to keep an eye on it though. Kudu was so much simpler and easier to
use in every aspect compared to HBase. Impala was great for the report writers and analysts
to experiment with for the short time it was up. But, once again, the only blocker was the
lack of Spark support for our Data Developers/Scientists. So, production-level data population
won’t happen until then.

an updatable hot data store to ensure that duplicates are taken care of and idempotency is
maintained. Whether data was directly retrieved from Cassandra for analytics, reports, or
searches, it was not clear as to what was its main use. Some also just used it for a staging
area to populate downstream tables in parquet format. The last thing I heard was that CQL
was terrible, so that rules out much use of direct queries against it.

real analytics, just ease of use instead of plainly using the APIs. Even then, Kudu should
beat it easily on big scans. Same for HBase. We've done benchmarks against the latter, not
the former.

data store for a long time that can be quickly queried directly either using Spark SQL or
Impala or some other SQL engine and still handle TB or PB of data without performance degradation
and many configuration headaches. For now, we are using HBase to take on this role with Phoenix
as a fast way to directly query the data. I can see Kudu as the best way to fill this gap
easily, especially being the closest thing to other relational databases out there in familiarity
for the many SQL analytics people in our company. The other alternative would be to go with
AWS Redshift for the same reasons, but it would come at a cost, of course. If we went with
either solutions, Kudu or Redshift, it would get rid of the need to extract from HBase to
parquet tables or export to PostgreSQL to support more of the SQL language using by analysts
or the reporting software we use..

far off with Kudu. Have you folks tried Kudu with Impala yet with those use cases?

we like to refer to "Impala + Kudu" as Kimpala, but yeah it's not as sexy. My colleagues who
were also there did say that the hype around Spark isn't dying down.

Cassandra, HBase, and Kudu cater to. I wouldn't go as far as saying that C* is just an interim
solution for the use case you describe.

month, it's a storage engine so things move slowly *smile*. I'd love to see more contributions
on the Spark front. I know there's code out there that could be integrated in kudu-spark,
it just needs to land in gerrit. I'm sure folks will happily review it.

love to learn more about the use cases for which you envision using Kudu as a C* replacement.

Jose. They told me that everything was about Spark and there is a big buzz about the SMACK
stack (Spark, Mesos, Akka, Cassandra, Kafka). I still think that Cassandra is just an interim
solution as a low-latency, easily queried data store. I was wondering if anything significant
happened in regards to Kudu, especially on the Spark front. Plus, can you come up with your
own proposed stack acronym to promote?

any timeline. I know of one person on the Kudu Slack who's working on a better RDD, but that's
about it.

<bkim@amobee.com <mailto:bkim@amobee.com>> wrote:
> [...]
I want to target a version of Kudu to begin real testing of Spark against it for our devs.
At least, I can tell them what timeframe to anticipate.

marketing.

CA 90405  |  www.amobee.com <http://www.amobee.com/>

not sure if it's needed either.

format, ideally we'd use scans directly.

do any sort of pushdown. It's really basic.

to contribute to. We have some basic unit tests that others can easily extend. None of us
on the team are Spark experts, but we'd be really happy to assist one improve the kudu-spark
code.

requirements (kudu RDD, kudu DStream) in KUDU-1214. Am I right? Besides shoring up more Spark
SQL functionality (Dataframes) and doing the documentation, what more needs to be done? Optimizations?

using Spark with Kudu and compare it to HBase with Spark (not clean).

did manage to get this in for 0.7.0: https://issues.cloudera.org/browse/KUDU-1321 <https://issues.cloudera.org/browse/KUDU-1321>

you can use SparkSQL on Kudu, but it will require a lot more work to make it fast/useful.

targeted for 0.8.0, but I see no progress on it. When this is complete, will this mean that
Spark will be able to work with Kudu both programmatically and as a client via Spark SQL?
Or is there more work that needs to be done on the Spark side for it to work?