kudu-user mailing list archives

From Dan Burkert <...@cloudera.com>
Subject Re: Partition and Split rows
Date Thu, 12 May 2016 17:50:09 GMT
Hey Sand,

Sorry for the delayed response.  I'm not quite following your use case.  Is
the requirement to pre-aggregate by time window? I don't think Kudu can
help you directly with that (nothing built in), but you could always create
a separate table to store the pre-aggregated values.  As far as applying
functions to do row splits, that is an interesting idea, but I think once
Kudu has support for range bounds (the non-covering range partition design
doc linked above), you can simply create the bounds where the function
would have put them.  For example, if you want a partition for every five
minutes, you can create the bounds accordingly.

Earlier this week I gave a talk on timeseries in Kudu, I've included some
slides that may be interesting to you.  Additionally, you may want to check
out https://github.com/danburkert/kudu-ts, it's a very young  (not feature
complete) metrics layer on top of Kudu, it may give you some ideas.

- Dan

On Sat, May 7, 2016 at 1:28 PM, Sand Stone <sand.m.stone@gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks for sharing, Dan. The diagrams explained clearly how the current
> system works.
>
> As for things in my mind. Take the schema of <host,metric,time,...>, say,
> I am interested in data for the past 5 mins, 10 mins, etc. Or, aggregate at
> 5 mins interval for the past 3 days, 7 days, ... Looks like I need to
> introduce a special 5-min bar column, use that column to do range partition
> to spread data across the tablet servers so that I could leverage parallel
> filtering.
>
> The cost of this extra column (INT8) is not ideal but not too bad either
> (storage cost wise, compression should do wonders). So I am thinking
> whether it would be better to take "functions" as row split instead of only
> constants. Of course if business requires to drop down to 1-min bar, the
> data has to be re-sharded again. So a more cost effective way of doing this
> on a production cluster would be good.
>

> On Sat, May 7, 2016 at 8:50 AM, Dan Burkert <dan@cloudera.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi Sand,
>>
>> I've been working on some diagrams to help explain some of the more
>> advanced partitioning types, it's attached.   Still pretty rough at this
>> point, but the goal is to clean it up and move it into the Kudu
>> documentation proper.  I'm interested to hear what kind of time series you
>> are interested in Kudu for.  I'm tasked with improving Kudu for time
>> series, you can follow progress here
>> <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/KUDU-1306>. If you have any
>> additional ideas I'd love to hear them.  You may also be interested in a
>> small project that a JD and I have been working on in the past week to
>> build an OpenTSDB style store on top of Kudu, you can find it here
>> <https://github.com/danburkert/kudu-ts>.  Still quite feature limited at
>> this point.
>>
>> - Dan
>>
>> On Fri, May 6, 2016 at 4:51 PM, Sand Stone <sand.m.stone@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Thanks. Will read.
>>>
>>> Given that I am researching time series data, row locality is crucial
>>> :-)

Kudu.